I moved this website to my new domain name at http://LeefromSeattle.com/blog/ and will no longer be updating this one.
I made a new level for my childrens game which uses 4 segments to create a larger terrain than I otherwise could use on mobiles. I made a video showing the steps once you’ve made a heightmap and basic texture shown in my other Blender video.
I whipped up a quick tutorial for once you have a heightmap and base texture, to make the mesh in blender for use in Unity.
The four segments tile together to create a larger mesh with each using it’s own texture. At the end of the video it shows how to make patterns,use them to blend in and clean up the textures while adding finer details than the mass copy and pasting used to create the base texture.
It’s coming along pretty nicely. This morning I figured out how to remove the pink pixels from the image using the alpha channel before it writes to png so you get a nice transparent background.
I also rigged up a mini GUI with some basic settings. Now you can select which animation you want to record by clicking and watching it play, set the number of frames between 1-16, adjust the timing of the shots, and set several different camera angles including isometric, straight on, and top down, as well as being able to rotate the character in a circle to shoot from the side or back.
Now I just need to get the lighting going, color settings, etc and will have a nifty little tool for making animated sprites as simple as possible, and quite a good resource for creating sprites for game development.
I put together several different shaders you can set on the model which use the same texture but give it a completely new appearance.
Which outputs a file like:
I prototyped this last night. When you press a key it generates 8(adjustable) images from different poses of the animated 3d model, it resizes each to be 256×256, then it packs them into the same image file to create an animated sprite sheet.
You can adjust the delay between shots, and get atlases for each combination, so generating 8 frames gives you 8 atlases so if the last frame is bad you can choose one with 1 less frame without having to crop anything out.
It needs to be cleaned up so the shots are coordinated better with the animations, but the heavy lifting is done as far as packing the different frames into a single atlas automatically.
Other features I plan to add will be adjustable lighting, adjustable and preset camera angles to do isometric, dimetric, top down, or free form angles of an animated model.
Here’s what the output image looks like from a single button press:
Today I made a couple background forest images:
And here’s how they turned out in the first level of the game. I need to make another one for 90 degree angles because the one on the left of the level doesn’t look good, but the back two line up really nicely, at first they didn’t.
Same as yesterday, the hazards include fire explosions that burn you if you’re too close, an arrow shooter you can’t see very well, a fireball shooter, and the spikes I made. I really need some enemies that patrol on the upper platforms.
I like the platforms you can shimmy in both directions by pushing either movement key, I might include more of those to knock things off ledges or travel through a level.
The other thing I was going to change is the ingredients. There will be floating onion rings, root beer, baked beans, and sundae models throughout the levels, once you bounce off bumpers and get to them their icon will show up and you can use it, but initially you won’t have any and have to use the basic default jump without ingredients which will be weak.